Saturday, August 15, 2015

Update in Week 11: How to Pray for the Trips

Baby A, B and C in all their glory
It's been a busy week!  Gearing up for school, Travis got a new job with CarMax (yay stability and benefits!), and had two appointments with two different doctors!

We saw Dr. Dhillon the paleontologist  perinatologist on Monday.   This was the doctor that no one would tell me why I  needed to see her other than the very helpful answer of, "You're having triplets".  I soon found out why they wanted to see me so quickly.  Radiology had sent over my report that the "twins" as we so lovingly refer to them (the babies in the same side) were being reported as something called mono/mono which means that they were sharing a sack and sharing a blood supply.  This is an EXTREMELY rare and dangerous thing, so they wanted to either confirm or deny this right away.  Dr. Dhillon was able to confirm that they are not together in one sack and will therefore not have to battle it out in my womb. PHEW.

BUT, the "twins" are something called mono/di which means they have one blood supply and two sacks.  This makes my already high risk pregnancy a little higher risk.  As my OB so eloquently put it, "There's high risk and then there's you." Awesome my own category!

But anyway, I digress, the issue that could come up with our little mono/di (dye heehee) "twins" is that they can develop something called twin to twin transfusion syndrome.  If you must put it in the Google machine go here http://www.tttsfoundation.org/ instead, good info, not so scary or infinitely crazy as a Google search.  The kids don't have this yet, it's just something that can happen and cause issues for the babies because they are sharing a blood supply.  In fact, as Dr. Dhillon was telling me all of this and I was tearing up she said, "Oh no, your babies don't have this, and I'm not saying they will, they are all beautiful right now and right on schedule, we just need to monitor."

The second appointment was fairly uneventful. They finally gave me a due date of March 7th. Waiting on a due date was like waiting on a 4 year old to solve a Rubix cube I swear, so many factors and people all saying different things...sheesh! They took all my blood, told me I was a high risk pregnancy...again... and sent me packing with a follow up slip for the end of the month in tow.

So with all that said we are asking for your prayers and happy thoughts!
Pray that:

  • the twins don't develop twin to twin transfusion syndrome
  • Give the doctor's discernment in diagnosis and treatment if the need arises
  • that we have a continued attitude of "we'll cross that bridge once we get to it"
  • that the Great Insurance Saga of 2015 is over
  • that my sickness continues to get better before school starts (Sept. 7)

Hard to tell because of the picture, but the triplets are trying to show
The Dr's say that my belly will probably measure 2-3 weeks ahead of a normal pregnancy




3 comments:

  1. Dr. Dhillon was my perinatologist too!! I spent a lot of time in her office the last six weeks of my pregnancy. We love her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the specifics on prayer for these little ones and you and Trav. And congrats on his new job! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your belly pic is very Inception. I love it.

    ReplyDelete